Promoting “Singles Day” in the U.S.A.
Singles Day originated in China during the 1990’s and is still celebrated on November 11th (11/11) each year. As you can see, the date corresponds with four “ones”, representing four singles. Similar to China’s Singles Day on 11/11, the UK celebrates that day on 3/11 and the U.S.A. on 9/22…this of course is above and beyond our Singles Awareness Day on 2/15, that follows our national Valentine’s Day.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau statistics, the number of single adults in our country is growing significantly, almost exponentially, from year to year. And, it has been reported that in 2017 China’s Singles Day earned over $25 billion in sales, surpassing U.S.A.’s biggest shopping days, Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
All in all, this can be described as another commercial holiday; whereby singles cognizant and proud of their status celebrate being who they are in the moment. And by celebrate, I mean pamper themselves whether as individuals or as a group of singles! How will they? Well, the choice is theirs and they can start by treating themselves to whatever has been on their “wish list” for some time; but, that time of uncertainty is gone and this is the day for their guilt-free reward.
This is the perfect scenario for your brand to run a “Singles Day Promotion”, be it a Contest, Sweepstakes or Game. Here are some ideas for you to consider:
“What you Wish for May come True”:
- As a Sweepstakes: Enter by writing down what you wish for, potential winner entry drawn will receive the prize indicated on entry (restrictions may apply).
- As an Instant Win Game: Spin the wheel displaying the most popular Single’s wishes and receive the prize where the needle lands.
- As a Contest: Tell us what your unique and special Single’s wish is via an essay, picture, video or combination thereof, the top judged entries will go up for public voting to determine the winner – who wins that prize of course.
Note that restrictions will apply on all of the above ideas.
If you think that running a “Single’s Day” promotion is right for your brand, please contact us first so we can share additional promotional ideas, discuss what tactic would work best to achieve your goals and ultimately ensure that your promotion will be compliant and successful.
This post was contributed by Fae Savignano, EVP.
- Celebrating 38 Years with Marden-Kane EVP Fae Savignano
- COVID-19 Relief and CCV Programs
- 6 Ways to Market in a Pandemic: Rewriting the Marketing Playbook
- Top 10 Promotional Marketing Articles of 2020
- Fun Halloween Giveaway Ideas for Your Business