Responsive Microsite or Mobile App…Which One Is Better For a Promotion?
Tricia Zorn, Digital Project Manager at Marden-Kane, contributed this week’s blog about responsive microsites vs. mobile apps.
If you are planning on running a contest, sweepstakes or instant win game, and are wondering whether or not you need a responsive microsite or a mobile app, you are not alone. This is probably one of the most asked questions we get from clients who want to run a promotion but don’t want to exclude mobile users.
First let’s start by understanding the differences between them.
WHAT IS A RESPONSIVE MICROSITE?
A responsive microsite is a website that has been built to respond optimally to different viewing sizes without having to resize, scroll or pan. Simply put it is a microsite that can be viewed on a desktop computer and a mobile device.
With the help of fluid proportion-based grids, flexible images and CSS3 media queries, responsive design enables websites to respond to their environment and look great at any size.
A mobile app is a computer program designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices. Unlike a responsive site, mobile applications have to be downloaded and installed on your device. In order to download an app a visitor will first have to visit a device-specific portal such as Apple’s App Store, Android Market, or Blackberry App World. Mobile apps don’t render within a web browser but some pull content and data from the Internet, while others download the content so it can be accessed without an Internet connection.
Now that we know the difference between a responsive microsite and a mobile app let’s talk about which one is better when running a contest, sweepstakes or instant win game.
- Responsive Microsites are Quicker and Cheaper. The development of a responsive microsite is generally less expensive to create and faster to develop compared to a native app, especially if you need to have a presence on different platforms. When running a promotion that will only be live for a short period of time it may not be wise to invest the time, effort and cost to develop a mobile app.
- Responsive Microsites Have a Broader Reach. Because a responsive microsite is web based it can be accessed across platforms and can be easily shared. Entrants can share their entries or the promotion URL to create greater awareness.
- Responsive Websites are Instant. With a responsive website there is no need to search and download anything. You can direct someone right to you promotion from a banner ad, blog post or even print. It’s quick and easy.
Marden-Kane can help you with your next promotion responsive microsite — or mobile app. Contact us to get started.
- Celebrating 20 Years with Marden-Kane Account Director Cheryl Thornton
- Post-Pandemic Prize Considerations
- Create a Successful Loyalty Program
- 5 Ways to Run a Flawless Beauty Pageant
- Instagram Giveaway Ideas