What is a Surprise and Delight?
A Surprise and Delight is a marketing tactic similar to a sweepstakes or contest, where gifts are given away to fans, but instead of a posted entry period with rules and a set prize, the giveaway itself is completely unannounced and random.
What can be tricky about a Surprise and Delight is that if you aren’t very careful you may actually be running a sweepstakes which would require official rules, possible registration and bonding and whole set of legal hoops to jump through. For a true Surprise and Delight no one can know it is coming.
5 Surprise and Delight Examples or Ideas:
- Giving away a surprise, unannounced free item at an event.
- Randomly contacting customers and giving them a reward for something they did or said that was nice about your brand – without asking anyone to say something nice or announcing what you are doing, like Barclaycard did for their #Thanksgifting campaign.
- Giving away a reward to people wearing your product at a mall or theme park or run.
- Playing Santa and giving people items from their holiday wish list.
- If a consumer is complaining about the quality or service of your competitor, you could gain a loyal fan for life by giving them a comparable product or service that your brand offers.
How Do You Make Your Surprise and Delight Successful?
Keep it Legal! Check to make sure you aren’t inadvertently running a Sweepstakes. You might want your recipient to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility or other releases. If you aren’t 100% sure what you should do, speak to a Promotion Expert like Marden-Kane. Contact us and we can help!
- How to Do a Giveaway on YouTube
- Put That Sweepstakes Data to Work
- Make a Pick from the Promotional Marketing Campaign Litter
- Celebrating 38 Years with Marden-Kane EVP Fae Savignano
- COVID-19 Relief and CCV Programs