6 Ways to Have a Sweepstakes Advantage
A sweepstakes is a promotion that involves an element of chance – usually a random drawing or random instant win. So are there ways to have a sweepstakes advantage if the drawing is random? Only if you make your entry count. Here’s how:
- Enter! Seems simple enough, but we have seen people start the entry form process and then never get to the submission success page. You can’t win if you don’t enter!
- Read and follow the official rules. If the rules say one entry per day, then don’t enter more than that. Similarly if you don’t live in the area the sweepstakes is offered, or if you are not the right age, don’t enter. Entries are often disqualified because the entrant doesn’t toe the line.
- Watch for scams. No rules? Then don’t enter. A sweepstakes without rules or that asks for purchase without an alternate means of entry without purchase is illegal in the US and most other countries. Avoid any sweepstakes that has no rules or that doesn’t have a method of entry without purchase.
- If it’s an instant win game, read the rules to see how wins are determined. Know how the game works and what the odds are. If odds are 1 in 100 or more to win you may not want to spend too much time on that game!
- Do the math. If you know a sweepstakes allows for multiple entries per day over a period of weeks, and you see ads for it everywhere, then you know your entry in a sea of millions of others doesn’t give you great odds at winning. To improve your odds, look for smaller sweepstakes or ones that only allow for one entry per person for the submission period.
- And finally, provide a legible and accurate way to be contacted if you are selected as a potential winner. Many times we can’t contact winners because of typos in their email addresses or they don’t provide full contact information.
Still haven’t won anything in a sweepstakes? Consider eliminating chance and enter a contest instead! Contests are skill based – so use your strengths, like writing or singing or art or cooking, and look for contests in those areas.
And if you are brand looking to run a sweepstakes and contest that gives your loyal customers a sweepstakes advantage, contact us!
- Sweepstakes Rules Generator vs Custom Sweepstakes Rules
- 6 Ways to Have a Sweepstakes Advantage
- Meet Our New Account Coordinators!
- What Promotion Incentives Work Best?
- From the MK Promotion Archives: Tigerino – the First Scratch-Off Game Card