Sweepstakes Void in Florida and New York
One question we hear frequently: Why are so many sweepstakes void in Florida and New York?
The answer is simple: some states require registration and bonding. Many companies either don’t want to deal with that requirement, don’t want to spend the extra money, or they have run out of time to file.
We have written other posts about the registration requirements for Florida, New York and Rhode Island, as well as how to bond your promotion, but do all sweepstakes really need all that?
Here is a simple checklist to see if your promotion needs to be registered:
- Does the cumulative ARV of prizes total more than $5,000?
- Are you selecting winners by random drawing?
- Are prizes being offered at a retail location in Rhode Island, and is cumulative ARV of total prizes over $500?
If you answered yes to #1 and #2 then you will need to bond and register your sweepstakes in Florida and New York, or void those states. If you answered yes to #2 and #3 then you need to register your sweepstakes in Rhode Island, or void it there.
Now that you know, and if bonding and registration is required, check out the following resources to help you do it yourself.
Or to play it safe so your next sweepstakes can legally run in Florida or New York, call us to help you register and bond your sweepstakes!
- 12 Reasons to Run a Holiday Promotion — 12 Days of Christmas Style
- Cyber Monday Promotion Ideas to Bring Customers to Your Online Site
- 6 Things NOT to Do When Planning a Holiday Promotion
- Customer Loyalty Program Ideas
- Name Your Halloween Promotion! Use Our Super Scary Formula….